If you change jobs but stay working in the local government or for another employer who's part of the LGPS, you can ask to have your pension transferred to your new employer. They will not be transferred automatically. If you're getting paid less in your new job, it might not be in your best interests to transfer your pension. Remember to consider taking financial advice.

If you leave local government completely, or choose not to transfer the pension you've accumulated, it will be treated as a deferred pension. See the Deferred Members area for more information.