Your pension is taxed.

We do not set your tax code: all we can do if you question your tax code with us is to suggest that you contact HMRC (0300 200 3300).

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) sets or amends your tax code based on where you live and your total income, including the state pension and any other income you have.

HMRC uses real time data to make adjustments to people's tax codes throughout the year, so they are more likely to pay the right amount of tax on their income as they earn it.

Scottish tax codes have a letter S before the tax code.

You can check your tax code online or notify HMRC of your correct address by setting up a Personal Tax Account. To do this go to after setting up a Government Gateway account. You will need:

  • a phone to receive a security access code
  • a recent payslip or P60

Tax Help for Older People is a service from the charity Tax Volunteers providing free, independent and expert help and advice for older people on lower incomes who cannot afford to pay for professional tax advice.